REPOA is an independent research institution which creates and utilizes knowledge to facilitate socio-economic transformation for inclusive development. REPOA produces high-quality research, provides training, facilitates knowledge sharing and promotes the use of research-based evidence in policy development. To achieve these objectives REPOA emphasizes the need to build and strengthen local research capacity through provision of tailor-made training and some small research grants to carry out research in selected thematic areas. REPOA is pleased to announce a competitive call for proposals from eligible Tanzanian researchers for the following research themes:
- Competitiveness analysis: constant market share (CMS) analysis
- Economic diplomacy and export performance
- Revealed comparative advantage and intra industry trade (2009-2019)
- Effectiveness of export promotion on firm performance
- Openness (foreign trade/foreign direct investment) and export competitiveness and diversification
- International trade and firm performance
- VAT and transit trade competitiveness
- Export performance and competitiveness of value chains (on one of the following sectors: seaweed, rice, horticulture or leather)
Eligible applicants are Tanzanian citizens who have recently completed their master’s or PhD degrees in social sciences from recognized Universities and are engaged in research or in mid-career profession in policy analysis. Current masters’ and PhD students are also encouraged to apply. Those interested can submit a comprehensive, well thought and cogent proposal, maximum 1,500 words excluding the abstract and references, presented as follows:
- Title- 50 words maximum
- Abstract- 150 words maximum but not counted towards the overall word limit
- Rationale/motivation for the research project- 400 words maximum
- Problem statement and initial research questions- 300 words maximum
- Intended Methodology- 300 words maximum
- Expected contributions to policy and literature- 250 words maximum
- Work plan- 200 words maximum
The proposal should include a detailed budget, names of principal researchers and their current CVs as annexes. The maximum budget for a project is Tanzanian shillings 20 million.
A rigorous review process will identify best research proposals for each theme. The selected applicants will be invited to the online seminar for presentation and further review before the final selection is made for funding. Selected researchers will be connected to senior researchers for mentoring and support and will be expected to accomplish their work within 6 months after signing of the contract.
- The deadline for applications is July 17, 2020 @ 17:00 hours
- Applications are to be submitted electronically to REPOA through the email address email@example.com
- Applicants are encouraged to enclose as attachments updated copies of their resumes/CVs as well as scanned transcripts of BA/MA/PhD grades
- Applications should state clearly the subject topic wished to be pursued. Details on thematic areas covered can be found in the relevant section below.
- Applications need to be supported by letters of recommendations from credible referees including but not limited to MA supervisors or PhD promotors. These need to be emailed separately by the respective supervisors/promotors to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Other important details:
- Data and analyses need to be made available to REPOA and the International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University, who will only utilize it upon the consent of funded researchers.
- Applicants are highly encouraged to pursue original topics of research based on guidelines provided by the identified themes below.